Who are we?
Biofiltra is a company dedicated to the treatment of wastewater and to the recovery and treatment of rainwater.
We are committed to providing quality, robust and efficient systems that meet your needs and the requirements of the Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and Climate Change (MDDELCC).
As a specialist in the field of phytotechnology, we are a growing Quebec company that offers water treatment solutions that combine ingenuity with the strength of nature.
Biofiltra is notable for the treatment of residential, community, industrial and institutional wastewater, but also for the recovery and treatment of rainwater and runoff.
Biofiltra responds to a growing need, while constantly renewing itself thanks to its many efforts in scientific research and experimental development.
Our Mission and Values
Our mission is to provide our customers with an environment free of contamination, as well as to protect their health and the environment by offering high-quality solutions and products at the leading edge of technology.
Protect the environment
We are guided by our mission to protect the environment by promoting sustainable development through the development of solutions and processes that will ensure a healthy living environment for families of today and tomorrow.
The ongoing pursuit of excellence through collaboration and teamwork are at the heart of Biofiltra’s values.
Integrity and honesty with our customers and employees are also paramount values in order to properly meet the objectives of our mission.
The marsh filter optimally reproduces the natural purification in the environment. This technology reflects the robustness of the ecosystem. Ecophyltre is an advanced and tertiary secondary technology.
The Ecophyltre concept is German inspired and was developed in Quebec from 1995 to 1998 to make it a version adapted to the North American climate.
From 1998 to 2000, this new technology was offered as a demonstration project to the Quebec government. A dozen residential projects and a dozen commercial projects were designed and examined before it was put on the market. As early as 2000, Ecophyltre obtained the standard commercial accreditation.
At the end of 2005, following a rigorous test bench, our technology became one of four to obtain accreditation from the Bureau de normalization du Québec (BNQ).
The plants used in the system serve to oxygenate the substrate.
They are hollow stem plants that have the ability to oxygenate the substrate both summer and winter and oxidize the sediment. Moreover, their roots loosen the substrate and prevent water from creating preferential paths, which would impair the optimum use of the pond.
Among all the systems Ecophyltre V is the one that can disinfect the water from discharges without the need to use expensive UV lamps requiring maintenance by the municipality.
Ecophytre Flow Diagram Class III – Rejection to Polishing Field.
Flow diagram Ecophyltre Class V with disinfectant filter – Discharge to the environment.
The Phyltro is a stormwater treatment and management system that adapts to both urban and industrial environments.
Formed of modular boxes, the BBox is a system that makes it possible to recover the rain water, the previously treated waters. It meets the standards of the Rainwater Management Guide.
Inspection and Maintenance:
The Ecophyltre inspection program requires two visits per year, due to the spreading of domolithic lime, piezometer level measurements, sampling and the required microbiological analyzes to meet Standards and requirements of the Ministry of the Environment.
- Visual state of water;
- Sampling to test water quality (Ecophyltre V);
- Checking the blower pump;
- Cleaning the air filter;
- Checking the diaphragm;
- Changing the battery (9 volts) of the alarm;
- Alarm test;
- Visual state of the basin and of the perimeter;
- State of the web;
- Status of plantation of phragmites (special attention to stolons);
- Verification of piezometers (level measurement);
- Condition of collection view (obligatory cleaning by the customer at the first emptying after the installation;
- Application of dolomitic lime (according to guide and class);
- Adequate flow to the polishing field (from the collection view);
- Adequate flow to the filter bed (from the collection window);
- Sampling and analysis by an independent specialized firm (May to June and August to November only);
- Parameters analyzed: fecal and total coliforms, if necessary MES (suspended solids), BOD5;
- Full Inspection and Preventive Monitoring Report.
Tips and Tricks
Ensure the proper functioning of its wastewater system
In order to promote the proper functioning of your wastewater treatment unit, please avoid throwing in your sink, washbasin, toilet bowl, garage drain:
- Remaining paint, expired medicines, solvent, oil, oil and pesticides or other chemicals;
- Non-biodegradable waste such as leftover meals, plastic packaging, swabs, pads and sanitary napkins;
- Fats (oils, fats with fries);
- Backwash water from a water softener system (at all times).
- May disrupt the functioning of your system by killing the bacteria that form the bio reactor.
- Since chemicals will not be insured, they will end up in the soil or nearby streams.
- The more you throw fat at the sink, the more it will accumulate in your station, which will oblige you to drain more often.
- The rinse water of a water softener system contains a high concentration of salt that kills the bacteria (bioreactor) and corrodes the components of your system.
*Sinks with shredders do not solve the problem, instead they make us throw everything at the sink.